Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: SMS messages to cellphones

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 14:27:54 -0500

Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 12:22:19 -0700
From: Rodney Joffe <rjoffe () centergate com>

Hello Dave,

I'd be interested in seeing if any of your IP readers have experienced
this problem, and if they've discovered a magical cure...

AT&T has some tens of thousands of AT&T cell phone subscribers in the
Phoenix area. Like all cell phone providers, they have been assigned
blocks of numbers for their subscribers. These blocks are reasonably
large (I am in a block of 9,999 numbers - 602-418-xxxx).

A local mortgage company has discovered a great way of generating
business, by sending SMS ads to everyone in the block. The SMS service
has no way of displaying the headers, and AT&T claims that there is no
law against sending SMS messages to cell phones (I had thought the FCC
had enacted regulations that prohibited sales or unsolicited commercial
calls to cellphones). Their solution is to offer to change my cell phone
number. Obviously this is a non-starter... the scam consists of sending
the ads to the entire known block of AT&T assigned numbers so the
problem would follow me.

This looks like the spam issue all over again. Maybe market forces will
cause AT&T to solve the problem - we're currently getting bids to
replace our 25 AT&T phones. But of course the spammers/scammers probably
know the npa/nxx's of all the cellular providers. This is rather
troubling.

--
Rodney Joffe
CenterGate Research Group, LLC.