Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: STATEMENT OF COMMISSIONER GLORIA TRISTANI re Time Warner Inc. and America Online, Inc.merger

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 10:15:34 -0500

SEPARATE STATEMENT OF COMMISSIONER GLORIA TRISTANI
Re:     Applications for Consent to the Transfer of Control of Licenses and
Section 214 Authorizations by Time Warner Inc. and America Online, Inc.,
Transferors, to AOL Time Warner Inc., Tra
nsferee
I voted to approve the license transfers involved in the AOL and Time
Warner merger because the conditions imposed to serve the public interest
were the best that could be achieved under the circumstances, and tipped
the balance narrowly in favor of approval. I urged my colleagues to adopt
open-code interoperability as a fundamental component of the public
interest in the Internet communications era. I believe that interest
compelled the merged company to achieve, and publish, interoperability
protocols by a date certain.1 I write separately to distinguish the outcome
for which I cast my vote, from the policy of Internet openness I urged.

http://www.fcc.gov/Speeches/Tristani/Statements/2001/stgt121.html

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/