Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Farber consumer reaction -- Dell Computer is just a bad bet for service Try another vendor

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 19:03:23 -0500

My son, Manny and I , bought a Dell Pentium 4 system. It was only available
with Windows ME at the time we purchased them. I and Manny stupidly assumed
that we could do an upgrade to Windows 2000 easily.

As a previous note said, Dell supplied a system with a wired browser that
only really let you home on the Dell web page and that was substandard.
When I asked how to fix it I was told -- sorry that is the way it is!!. I
managed by wasting a lot of time to finally fix it.

Unfortunately my ME system freezes every 1 hour without fail. This is
clearly unacceptable.

When we called Dell re the problem and the fact we really wanted Win2000
they aimed us at the library of Windows 2000 drivers and said try it.
Unfortunately the video driver was initially broken and even the upgrade
they just did does not work correctly. They again said the polite
equivalent of SORRY GO AWAY and said because it was now over 30 days DON'T
bother to come back again.  So we are stuck with expensive machines that
are unreliable and they will not fix it.

Maybe we just had a bad run of luck, maybe the layoffs at Dell affected
their service but I, for one , would STAY VERY CLEAR OF THEM till they
learn the meaning of the words SERVICE.

Dave

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/