Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Dallas Diary 1 of 1

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 15:24:53 -0500

Last week I had two interesting experiences. The first was in Washington DC
where I attended the Infrastructure Breakdowns through  Asymmetric Warfare
workshop. Very educational and challenging. I will report on that in the
future.

I then flew down to Dallas TX which was in the middle of a big rain event.
Everything was late arriving.

I was invited down for two events. The first was a visit to the University
of Texas at Dallas. It is a young campus founded on what was a Institute
for Advanced Studies. It is a fast growing campus with a young faculty,
very good undergraduates and one of the largest Masters program in the
nation. It is right in the midst of a collection of telecommunications
companies that is bigger than Kista in Sweden or even the valley (for major
players). UTD is a place to watch in the future!

The second day I gave the First Friday Business Impact Luncheon. There were
over 300 leaders of the Telecom field. They hold two lunches monthly and
they attract capacity crowds. (Philadelphia region -- WAKE UP!! There is
nothing like that around here).

The Title was "Predicting the Unpredictable -- the FCC and the Future of
Telecommunications and the Internet". Great audience and I was told  great
speech.

I had a wonderful meal in a great real Italian restaurant in downtown
Dallas.  One of the young faculty in CS from Italy said it was very authentic.

Dallas was great. Lot less Stetson's than in DC now. The Provost of UTD who
grew up on a ranch said that real cowboys don't wear Stetsons and boots
very much at work!!

Anyway I liked Texas People were friendly and interesting.

Dave

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/