Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: Asked my lawyer about this Treaties

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 16:58:51 -0400

From: Anthony Dye <ADye () evokesoft com>
To: "'farber () cis upenn edu'" <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: RE: Asked my lawyer about this Treaties
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 13:29:43 -0700

Dave,
        You're welcome to distribute this if you find it interesting...

The House was supposed to be the representative of the interest of the
people, and the Senate that of the States. Since treaties traditionally
didn't really affect the people as a whole, there's no nead for the people's
Representative to vote on the issue. The President, as the head of the
republic, and the Senate, as the representative of the interests of the
States, are traditionally the only parties with any vested interest. I don't
know of any other treaties that allow foreign nations to take action against
specific US corporations or individuals. Even extradition treaties don't do
this.

The same sort of logic can be found in the provision that requires tax bills
to originate in the House. The people's representative should initiate
taxation, not the State's.

Of course, the 17th (IIRC) amendment changed all that by causing Senators to
be elected by the people, not the state legislature.... arguably a severe
erosion of State's rights.

As for my own opinion, I can't imagine why a nation which enjoys, perhaps,
the best system of government in history would want to subject itself to the
whims of the judiciary in any other nation, even our allies'. I can't see
the UK or China signing this treaty either, and the nationalist factions in
Russia will have a fit.

Signing this will gain us nothing, and cost us significantly more than your
garden variety trade pact.

-Tony

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/