Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Entering a "Telecom Dark Ages"?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 19:31:07 -0400

From: "Robert J. Berger" <rberger () ultradevices com>

The Level 3 and Nortel bad numbers/ layoff announcements combined with all
the other indicators has me concerned that we've entered a "Telecom Dark
Ages". The ILECs have out survived most of their competitors due to their
monopoly revenue  streams. The Bush Administration allows the ILECs to
stomp out any remaining competition.

Now that the ILECs have no competition, they've slowed  down their
deployment and raised their prices. The VCs and Wall Street are no longer
investing in any service providers so there can be no one to take
advantage of wireless or other disruptive technology that could "route
around" the ILECs...

So even though there are  millions of people in the US who would like to
get broadband service, but are not within reach of xDSL or Cable Modem,
there is no industry being built to service that need.

It doesn't look like this situation will change until there is some truly
disruptive tech (UWB/SDR?) and/or regulatory change. This could mean
several years of a "Telecom Dark Ages" in the US while other countries
(like China?) continue on their explosive and competitive Telecom
buildouts, potentially having the US loose its technological edge...
--
Robert J. Berger
UltraDevices, Inc.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/