Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: 2 on Britain's sad decline of liberty a warning for U.S.: Dan Gillmor on Technology Thu Jul 05 15:15:09 EDT 2001

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 16:37:12 -0400

Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 10:36:10 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu, ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com
From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Subject: Re: IP: Re: Britain's sad decline of liberty a warning for
  U.S.: Dan Gillmor on Technology Thu Jul 05 15:15:09 EDT 2001

Well, by publishing Mr. David Barrett's letter, you sure raised my blood
pressure.  I have no idea who he is (since he posts using yahoo, a great
venue for people who need to be protected behind its relative anonymity),
but if he is on the side of law enforcement, his lack of willingness to
even listen to the concerns of people who worry about privacy proves his
opponents right.

In my experience discussing these issues with government decision makers,
the typical attitude has been we should use all tools available to us,
unless there is a huge outcry *in advance* from a vast majority of the
public.  Yet the actual harm is often far in the future, as in the case of
moves for long-term archival storage of all communications.

I argued in the early Clipper era that a huge problem with key-escrow
comes when combined with the ability (now here) to record all
communications forever.  (disk-oxide capacity is now growing at a rate
that exceeds message creation rates).  This argument was squishier than
the more glamorous paranoia around whether there was a "secret NSA
backdoor" designed into Clipper, so the problem with universal recording
got short shrift.

This enables ex-post-facto revisions of what is acceptable thinking and
behavior, such as what happened in the McCarthy witchhunts for communists
and fellow travellers, and what happened when small percentages of Jewish
ancestry were suddenly classified as worthy of death penalty.  Or in other
countries where messages discussing opposition to other dominant
ideologies lead to harassment and oppression?

Can we trust the well-meaning despots of the future with these tools?  I
am still shocked at some of the atrocities that have been ordered by my
government in the past - and yet that government was well-meaning and
supported by a majority of citizens.

Anyone, Mr. David Barrett's certitude and use of terms like "whining"
shows exactly why we cannot trust him or his like in government.  They
have no capability of tolerance or empathy with points of view other than
their own.