Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re:: We know where you are , have been etc

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 17:00:54 -0400

Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 16:31:33 -0500
From: gep2 () terabites com
Subject: Re: IP: We know where you are , have been etc
To: farber () cis upenn edu

[auto insurers tracking their insured by GPS]

This strikes me as almost as offensive, if not moreso, than that car rental
place that tracks their customers trips by GPS and sends detailed stats on
their
driving to the rental company.

Of course, one could say "don't rent from them" or "don't insure through
them"
but then what?  Are we going to have to go to "last ditch"
insurers-of-last-resort at exorbitant prices if we want to maintain our
privacy?

And when will the government decide to subpoena the records, so they can
figure
out where we've been hanging out?  I don't like the sound of that ONE BIT.

Gordon Peterson                  http://personal.terabites.com/
Support the Anti-SPAM Amendment!  Join at http://www.cauce.org/
12/19/98: Partisan Republicans scornfully ignore the voters they "represent".
12/09/00: the date the Republican Party took down democracy in America.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/