Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Ran as "Computer Techs conscripted to fight kiddie Porn," in a local newspaper

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 14:30:16 -0400

From: <bdolan () usit net>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

 Techs Must Report Child Pornography
The Associated Press
Saturday, July 28, 2001; 1:00 p.m. EDT

COLUMBIA, S.C. ­­ Tucked into a new law on education standards for day care
workers is a requirement that private technicians tell police if they find
child pornography when servicing computers.

The measure, signed into law by Gov. Jim Hodges last week, expands an
existing statute requiring photo developers to report film containing images
of children that appear to be under 18 in sex acts or in a "sexually
explicit posture."

"Now folks who look at this trash on their computers will be caught," Hodges
spokesman Morton Brilliant said.

Civil libertarians say conscripting computer technicians into the state's
anti-porn efforts raises privacy concerns.

"I don't know how in the world you're going to enforce that," said Herb
Buhl, a lawyer with the state chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union.

Blue Cross and Blue Shield of South Carolina, which has one of the state's
largest private-sector computer networks, will comply with the law,
spokeswoman Donna Thorne said.

But, she added, "I'm not sure its our computer technician's job to be doing
law enforcement."

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/