Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Prestigious IEEE Award - Professor Brian Randell

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 12:22:37 -0400

The following is the text of a letter received by Professor Brian Randell
in the last day or so. (Those who heard Tom's involuntary whoop of
delight this morning can now understand the cause!)

"Recognising exceptional achievements in our profession, by both
individuals and organisations, is an important part of the mission of the
IEEE. Each year the IEEE Awards Board recommends a select group of
individuals to receive its most prestigious honors. It is my pleasure to
inform you that the IEEE Board of Directors named you as the recipient of
the 2002 Emanuel R. Piore Award with the following citation

'For seminal contributions to and leadership in computing system
dependability research.' "
Background

The IEEE is the premier (US-based) international society in the field of
electrical and electronic engineering.

The Emanuael R Priore Award is presented annually to an individual or a
team of two individuals, for outstanding achievement in the field of
information processing, in relation to computer science, deemed to have
contributed significantly to the advancement of science and the
betterment of society.

The award was first issued in 1977, to George R Stibitz. Other previous
winners include J Presper Eckert Jr,. Richard Hamming, Ken Thompson and
Dennis Ritchie,  Nicklaus Wirth, David Evans and Ivan Sutherland, David
Kuck, Grace Hopper, Allen Newell, Joe Traub, Harold Stone, John
Hennessey, Ed McCluskey, Velvel Kahan and Ravi Iyer.

Brian is in VERY distinguished company. He is also only the second award
winner with a European affiliation (the other is Nicklaus Wirth)

I am sure we all offer him our warmest congratulations!

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/