Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Did download failures increase Code Red's success?: [risks] Risks Digest 21.54

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 05:20:20 -0400

Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 18:43:09 -0700
From: Scott Renfro <scott () renfro org>
Subject: Did download failures increase Code Red's success?

  [For those of you who slept through it, the Code Red worm was intended to
  attack the whitehouse.gov Web site at 5pm EDT on 19 Jul 2001.  With
  just-in-time reverse engineering, the code was discovered to contain the
  target IP address, thus enabling the White House staff to reconfigure to
  avoid the attack.  (The attack clearly could have been more subtle.)  It
  is of course ironic that current efforts to outlaw reverse engineering
  (DMCA, UCITA, etc.) could ban efforts to stave off this and other attacks!
  The relevant CERT advisory is at
  http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2001-19.html pointing out that Code Red
  exploited a vulnerability noted earlier in CA-2001-13.  YABO: Yet Another
  Buffer Overflow, aimed at Microsoft IIS servers.  PGN]

On the morning of 19 Jul 2001, I notified a small company (whom I sometimes
advise since they have no dedicated IT staff) of the then-latest Microsoft
advisory.  An hour later, they proudly replied, reporting success and noting
that this hot fix was much easier to apply than most -- especially since
this one didn't force a reboot.

Suspicious that they hadn't really applied the hot fix, I downloaded a
separate copy of the hot fix using Internet Explorer and sent it to them
via e-mail.  This time they replied that the attachment I sent resulted
in an error message: ''not a valid Windows NT application.''

I soon realized that the connections were terminating prior to
completion and Internet Explorer was not reporting the failures.  In the
user's mind, silence was equivalent to success.

We were able to successfully download the hot fix using wget on FreeBSD,
which restarted the transfer four times due to reset connections -- each
time picking up where it had previously left off.  The company's server
was soon patched, and they have had no problems with the Code Red worm.

I've confirmed that Internet Explorer 5.0 on Win2k reports no failures
in (at least) the following situations:

 - When the user has selected 'Run this program from its current
   location' and the connection is prematurely reset, the download
   dialog silently disappears.  This is the same visual behavior as a
   program that was successfully transfered and completed execution
   without pausing for user input.

 - When the user has selected 'Save this program to disk' and the
   connection is closed normally but prematurely (i.e., before the
   number of bytes specified in the Content-Length header were
   received), the total file size is silently changed.  For example,
   during the download, the dialog displays:
     Estimated time left: 2 sec (87.2 KB of 236 KB copied)
   but once the connection has closed, the dialog changes to:
     Downloaded: 180 KB in 1 sec

An error does result in the inverse of these situations (i.e., when running
a program where the connection is closed normally but prematurely or when
saving a program where the connection is reset).

One wonders how many naive admins thought they *had* installed the hot fix,
but ended up with a truncated download and a Code Red worm infestation
instead.

P.S.  As of 22 Jul 2001, transfers from mssjus.www.conxion.com (to which
download.microsoft.com at least sometimes redirects) still result in
frequent resets from some networks.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/