Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: degreeless talent

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 20:27:32 -0400

Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 18:26:01 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Subject: degreeless talent

Is it really important that white boys from the US get degrees?

George Bush is immensely proud of his "C" average, at least it would seem
so from his commencement address at Yale.

And Marc Andreesen and Bill Gates both appeared in an article in the NYT
or WSJ (I can't remember which) a couple of years ago where they each
suggested degrees were unnecessary for high-tech success.

Perhaps it is chauvinistic, but the role models we get here in the US are
pretty uninterested in serious technical education.

- David
WWW Page: http://www.reed.com/dpr.html

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/