Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: a USACM letter on the dot us TLD

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 16:16:06 -0400

July 19, 2001

The Honorable Donald L. Evans
Secretary of Commerce
U.S. Department of Commerce
1401 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC  20230

Dear Secretary Evans:

As the Co-Chairs of the U.S. Public Policy Committee of the
Association for Computing Machinery (USACM), we are
writing to share our concerns regarding the Department of
Commerce's Request for Quotation (RFQ)
[SB1335-01-Q-0740]
for services to establish centralized management and coordination
of .US top-level domain (usTLD).  In our opinion, the RFQ
incorporates the Internet community and American public's
interest in the usTLD so inadequately that it should be rescinded
and reissued with revised requirements.

While we recognize the Department's current agreement for
operation of the usTLD expires in November of this year,
we are concerned that closing the RFQ period later this month
as currently planned does not provide sufficient time to support
an open and full public discussion on the future management of
the usTLD.  Used almost exclusively for state and local
governments, schools, and libraries, the usTLD is a public-owned
commodity that is rightfully regarded by the Internet community as
a national treasure.  Accordingly, the Department should be as
diligent in transferring the usTLD as it is in the transfer of similar
telecommunications resources, such as the allocation of spectrum for
new advanced wireless services.  Unfortunately, the Department's
RFQ does not reflect the U.S. Internet community's high regard for
usTLD.

The RFQ seems to be based on a desire for administrative
continuity rather than to build a secure policy foundation for the
future use of the usTLD.  By issuing the RFQ in this manner,
the Department has unintentionally limited opportunities for
informed consideration of this proposal.  Policy requirements
of the RFQ that merit more discussion with the Internet
community include its:

* required adoption of directives promulgated by the Internet
Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)
including a mandate to employ a "dispute resolution procedure"
similar to an existing ICANN process criticized by certain
members of the U.S. Internet community as "arbitrary"
and "capricious";

* creation of a "sunrise period" to allow registered trademark
owners to reserve their trademarks as domain names in manner
of concern to certain noncommercial and small business domain
holders; and,

* ambivalence that allows the contractor to profit from
performance of the services contained in the RFQ without
enforceable mechanisms to ensure accountability to all stakeholders
of the U.S. Internet community, including the noncommercial and
small business constituency.

In summary, the Department has not completed a careful and
complete evaluation of the public policy requirements for the
current and future management of the usTLD sufficient to meet
the diverse needs of the U.S. Internet community.  Considering
the Department plans to close the RFQ period on July 27, 2001,
we respectfully request the Department rescind or revise the
RFQ at this time.   At a minimum, the process should be
delayed until confirmation of and review by Ms. Nancy Victory,
the Administration's designee to head the Department's National
Telecommunication and Information Administration.

The Association for Computing Machinery, an educational and
scientific computing society with over 75,000 members, represents
a large and influential block of Internet-users in the United States.
The USACM is pleased to offer our technical expertise to the
development of technology policy.  We have designated as
contacts Jeff Grove at (202) 659-9711 and Kathryn Kleiman
at (202) 842-2345 to assist your staff in achieving needed
improvements in the solicitation.

Sincerely,

Barbara Simons, Ph.D.
Eugene H. Spafford, Ph.D.

Co-Chairs
U.S. ACM Public Policy Committee (USACM)
Association for Computing Machinery

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/