Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: : Leave to the FAA

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 16:08:59 -0500

Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 11:21:31 -0800
From: Ron Reisman <ronreisman () home com>

!!!Happy New Year!!!

Dave Farber writes:
They did it again, During a weather nightmare in the NE and backup all
over the FAA Air traffic control > >system web site
(http://www.fly.faa.gov/) says there are no delays either outbound or
inbound at any > >NYC/DC/Boston etc airports. Guess they took the weekend
off!!!

This may be the result of sharing gov't. date with the public, and the
difference in definitions between the two.

During a 'weather nightmare' various Delay programs go into effect.  The
'Ground Delay Progam' can generate new departure times for aircraft,
called the Expected Depature Clearance Time (EDCT). An aircraft cannot
take off before it's EDCT.  These terms, along with other interesting
tidbits, are covered in the 'Definitions' page at the fly.faa.gov
website.

If an aircraft is scheduled to depart at time T, and then recieves an
EDCT for T+3hrs., it is not considered 'delayed' within the FAA
Flow-Control system, just 'rescheduled'.  The deviation between the
original scheduled time of departure (ala OAG) and the EDCT is not their
measure of 'delay'.  If conditions degenerate to the point where the
EDCT are impacted, e.g. aircraft depart ~1 hour past their EDCT, then
the FAA delay metrics activate.  I agree that this is all pretty arcane,
and I don't know of any one site that explains it completely in laymans'
language.

I'll pass this on to [the] FAA System Command Center, and
perhaps they can come up with a more public-freindly set of messages.
He can add it to the dozens of improvements he plans for the site.

In any case, hoping you & yours have a happy, healthy, and prosperous
New Year!

--Ron

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/