Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re^2 The Key Vanishes: Scientist Outlines Unbreakable Code

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:03:19 -0500

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:50:24 -0500
From: "Dorothy E. Denning" <denning () cs georgetown edu>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Re: IP: The Key Vanishes: Scientist Outlines Unbreakable Code

Dave, I made a bit/byte error in what I just sent.  The storage
requirements are
even worse. The following is a corrected (I hope) version.
Dorothy
--------
Dave,

My understanding, based on the description Gina forwarded me from Rabin,
is that
to send a message that is m bits long requires that the sender and receiver
share (in advance) a secret key S that contains m*k random indexes, where k is
say 210.  These indexes are used to pull bits out of the random stream that is
transmitted from the satellite (or whatever).  Whereas the satellite bits
do in
fact disappear, the key S stays around for future use. Even though the
satellite
bits are the ones that are XORed into the message (the actual process is more
complicated than with a standard stream cipher), the real key is S.

Now, suppose you want to send a 10 Mb file (1.25 MB).  Suppose each index is a
4-byte integer.  Then for k = 210, you need a key that is 10**7 * 210 * 4 = 8
GB.  For a 100 Mb file, the key is 80 GB.  If Alice wants to be able to
communicate with 100 people, the storage requirements go up by another
factor of
100.  There is also the issue of how Alice and Bob exchange the secret S
in the
first place (wouldn't it be easier to exchange the 10 MB message than the
80 GB
key?).  The system does not obviate the need for standard crypto -- it
only adds
additional complexity (and more opportunities to introduce security weaknesses
into the implementation).

This is why I told Gina I thought the scheme was impractical, but still very
interesting theoretically.  Of course, it is possible I misinterpreted
something
and things are not so bad.

Regards,
Dorothy

Dave Farber wrote:

The Key Vanishes: Scientist Outlines Unbreakable Code

By GINA KOLATA

computer science professor at Harvard says he has found a way to send coded
messages that cannot be deciphered, even by an all-powerful adversary with
unlimited computing power. And, he says, he can prove it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/02/20/science/20CODE.html

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/

--
Prof. Dorothy E. Denning