Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Feds To Draw 'Map' of Internet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 17:39:00 -0500

From: "the terminal of Geoff Goodfellow" <geoff () iconia com>
To: "Dave E-mail Pamphleteer Farber" <farber () cis upenn edu>

Feds To Draw 'Map' of Internet
By Tim McDonald, www.NewsFactor.com

The U.S. federal government will begin the work of drawing a "map" of the
Internet next month, in an attempt to improve the country's ability to
better respond to future cyber-attacks, according to Richard Clarke,
President Bush (news - web sites)'s advisor on cyber-security.

The National Infrastructure Simulation and Analysis Center will diagram the
complex links between the country's critical Internet infrastructure, such
as interdependent telecom and information technology networks, electric
power grids, transportation systems, and gas and oil pipelines.

"The center will create an acupuncture map of the country, so we will know
where to harden our protection," Clarke said in statement.

--SNIP--

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nf/20011207/tc/15181_1.html

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/