Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Two good comments on Eric Lee Green on what "cyber-libertarians" don't get

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 09:17:02 -0500

Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 08:42:15 -0500
To: farber () cis upenn edu, ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com
From: Jean Camp <jean_camp () harvard edu>

Dave Crocker said
  For one thing, it is usual to permit plaintiffs to select their venue.

In what legal tradition? This is one of the significant dispute in UCITA that the vendor can choose any environment in which to take forward legal complaints. The plaintiff may select but the defendant can object In a Different Forum. Thus the range of court decisions which disagree across jurisdictions -- plaintiffs and defendants each choose different forums.

Efforts to prevent forum-shopping are included in much legislation and dispute resolution. That is why the selection of a court is an issue even when a criminal defendant (when the _executive branch of the state_ is the plaintiff here) feels a particular court or region is biased.

Forum-shopping may be long extant but it also a known flaw, not a feature, and courts in one forum (like the famous Judge Greene) may take very badly to forum shopping. In general when one party has more power (e.g. the executive branch vs a defendant) the other party is given more opportunities to appeal a particular forum (in the judiciary).

Dave Crocker said
We need to remember L. Mencken's "For every complex problem there is a simple solution... And it is wrong."

The "obvious" solution fixes a problem that well might not exist, but it ensures that there will be a new problem that is serious.

If it turns out that there is a legitimate need to make the choice of UDRP venue not be controlled entirely by the plaintiff, then it needs to use a mechanism that balances the choice between plaintiff and defendant equally, rather than eliminating all choice.

Not giving one party full control of the venue --for example allowing appeals should a particular court appear biased -- is government 101. For example, in the US in particular this allows states to create different business and consumer environments. The consumer then has a right to his own state laws (see the anti-UCITA bills) and a business plaintiff cannot change that fact.

Also, I might point out this is a small procedural change, not one which would require any significant changes in ICANN's structure or philosophy.

This is government 101.

Finally, and I am SPECIFICALLY NOT accusing Dave here, I have had in a single class of 20 a Jordanian, an Israeli, a Greek and a Turk. Despite more significant historical differences they managed not to toss around suggestions of each other's motivations. Let us try to follow their example in discussing the far less deadly and loaded issue of domain names.

-Jean
--

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/