Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Dangers of U.S. Cyber Chief to Map Infrastructure for Security and forces patches down our throats (see last para)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 12:00:49 -0500

To: farber () cis upenn edu
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 08:55:33 -0800
From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>

> >Software companies should not just make ``patches'' available to fix
> >vulnerabilities in their products, but automatically update users'
> >software for them, he [Clarke] said.
> >
> >``It's not beyond the wit of this industry to figure out a way of forcing
> >down these patches,'' he said.

This concept, though appealing on its face to many, is extraordinarily risky
and could be highly dangerous if widely implemented.  The reasons are very
clear.  First, automatic or "forced" update paths create new hacking targets
on a grand scale.  Hackers, criminals, or even terrorists could concentrate
their cyberattacks on the update mechanisms, potentially gaining access to
millions of systems in one fell swoop.  They might attack the individual
user systems, or the central sites that distribute the automated updates
(to corrupt vast numbers of machines from those central points).

Would software vendors try to prevent this?  Of course.  Would they
sometimes fail spectacularly in preventing such attacks?  Definitely.
It would only take one such major failure related to, for example, a popular
windows-oriented operating system to do immense damage.

Another problem even with legitimate automatic updates, of course, is that
they would often cause more problems than they solve.  One reason that so
many people don't install existing security updates across a range of
software systems, is that they've personally experienced the resulting new
security holes opened, system crashes and corruption, and other problems
that result from poorly implemented or tested software patches or "fixes" of
various sorts.  Forcing such materials down people's figurative system
throats would be incredibly dangerous to security and reliability.

There are indeed *major* and *serious* problems relating to security flaws
in software systems.  Automatic and/or forced updating systems are
not the answer.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () pfir org or lauren () vortex com or lauren () privacyforum org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
Co-Founder, PFIR - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, Fact Squad - http://www.factsquad.org
Co-Founder, URIICA - Union for Representative International Internet
                     Cooperation and Analysis - http://www.uriica.org
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/