Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Echostar (Dish) / DirecTV merger vs. the public interest

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 14:19:38 -0500

Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 10:15:01 -0800 (PST)
From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Echostar (Dish) / DirecTV merger vs. the public interest
Cc: lauren () pfir org

Dave,

In the course of an e-mail exchange on technical satellite issues, I
received a note from a very disgruntled Echostar (Dish Network) subscriber.
He gave me permission to anonymously excerpt from his message, which I have
done below.  He gives a good "ordinary user" perspective on concerns
regarding the Echostar / DirecTV merger.  As it happens, I also am an
Echostar customer (in fact, since the earliest days of Dish Network).  I too
have become increasingly dissatisfied with Echostar, and I'm currently in
the process of switching to DirecTV.