Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on :amateur radio operators A "Better Network" for Emergency Communications

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 07:26:02 -0500

Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 23:58:05 -0800
To: farber () cis upenn edu, ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com
From: "Joseph C. Pistritto" <jcp () dmwhe com>

While not a complete solution, to a certain extent, this is where amateur radio operators come in. This is an emergency communication system that works across agencies, and does so *now*.

Almost all amateurs that participate in emergency communication service can talk to each other, and a wide variety of base stations, who all have similar (Frequency, mode, capability) equipment. This seems to be *rarely* true of the emergency agencies that they team up with during disaster operations.

Here in San Mateo county for instance, the local ARES/RACES chapter finally got all the fire trucks and many police vehicles fitted with power plugs for amateur transmitters. (They picked a standard - a particular Radio Shack part #), so all amateurs could make pigtails for their equipment that fit. I standardized my own radios in the house here on the same plug, because it seemed like a good idea. So during call-ups, amateurs can 'ride-with" the emergency services and provide a control net that crosses service and communication technology boundaries. (Here in the Bay Area, people put more effort into emergency preparedness because we sort of know there will be emergencies that will be widespread and will happen without notice.). However here, my "scanner guide" lists hundreds of different police and fire frequencies, on different *bands* as well. (3 of them + cellular/trunked 800 frequencies). The antennas for these radios arent even interchangable.

To a certain extent, this problem gets solved by individual departments by putting multiple radios in a vehicle, but thats hard when out of the vehicle (say at a fire scene). CLEMARS (a digital computer system) is in use by most police departments in the area, in fact, it is about the only in-vehicle system thats common across PDs in the Bay Area, but not everyone is on it yet).

In short, this is a mess. It'll take a lot of money to replace all those radios with ones that can talk to each other. There's a huge frequency allocation problem too. (My town has 5 frequencies assigned to it's use. They're of course different than other towns, and theres no way you could get enough to say, operate a trunked radio system down here like they use in San Francisco or Oakland. (different, incompatible trunked systems I might add, i have scanners for each.) Its quite a big deal when a smaller city has to upgrade all its radios to a new system. (it took Oakland about 10 years to switch everyone to the trunked system they use there for instance). There's a *lot* of radios out there, and every vehicle installation is probably a couple of thousand $$.

Amateurs solve this problem the distributed systems way. Everyone buys equipment that can talk to other randomly selected people. We interoperate by design. Further, we each buy our own equipment, there isnt some big purchasing bureaucracy that does it for us. However i'd bet almost every amateur in California owns a 2meter FM radio that works and can be used on an emergency net. A good number (maybe 20-30%) have 70cm radios that are also used for that purpose. Between those two radios, virtually every emergency communication used in California can be made, especially if you add in people like me who have shortwave stations as well as the VHF/UHF capability and batteries to run it all. Whats more, we practice doing this regularly.

In short, lets say I'm pretty skeptical that someone is going to overlay a brand new (especially cellular based) technology as a "quick fix" and suddenly all police, firefighters and other rescue workers will magically use it. And it wont get blocked inside buildings, or have "dead spots" that render a cop out of communication during an incident, etc. The communications systems these agencies have are designed around these problems. It takes a significant amount of time to build confidence in a new technology and to make sure it really works robustly in the field, at a price departments can afford.

In the meantime, the model amateurs use, might be instructive:
- a relatively small set of assigned frequencies and modes, but enough so that people/agencies can spread out across a band, a few different bands for different propagation needs. - almost everyone uses synthesized equipment, which can be quickly reprogrammed for different frequencies by design - regular, routine cross-location and region "interoperability events". (we call them contests in Amateur Radio, but that's what they really are). - standardization within at least regions on the supporting hardware (like having the radios all take the same power plug, so any one person and radio can be in any vehicle).

This isnt magic. We dont need magic new radios to do this. Voice communication does what we need for emergency use. (yes, pictures would be nice and CLEMARS and some of the other law enforcement systems do pictures now).

I think if the FCC or someone else took the lead and said "We need to define an interoperability standard for emergency services communication" and kept it simple and straightforward, this problem could be solved by manufacturers and users within the rollout time of the next generation of radios.

Thanks,
  -jcp-