Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Merry Old is Blunketed Ashcroftishly at Yuletide

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 16:41:58 -0500

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

[Note:  This item comes from reader Janos Gereben.  DLH]

From: "Janos G." <janos451 () earthlink net>
Subject: Merry Old is Blunketed Ashcroftishly at Yuletide
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 10:09:19 -0800
From the American Politics Journal -- Dec. 25, 2001

The View From Europe
A Blunket Over Yuletide Cheer
By Nicola Mitchell

Dec. 24, 2001 -- LONDON (APJP) -- Christmas is upon us, the time of
year when we are supposed to extend good will to all and spend time
with our loved ones.

Despite all the harmonious intentions, 2002 may not be the happiest
of new years if some of our politicians manage to get their way, as
many of the freedoms and liberties we take for granted could be
disappearing faster than the turkey and cranberry sauce on Christmas
Day.

Here on this side of the Atlantic, Home Secretary David Blunket has
been making waves with his proposed Terror Bill in response to the
events of September 11th. Although we are all agreed that the law
needs to be changed as a result of the attacks, should that change
mean the government has a right to infringe on civil rights and
freedoms?

Blunket, like US Attorney General John Ashcroft before him, has
caused concern with what many have dubbed draconian measures said to
have people's "best interests" at heart.

Just as Ashcroft has been heavily criticised in the states, here in
the UK the press, the public and even sections of his own party have
attacked Blunket for his proposals.

The press have been especially scathing of what is perhaps one of the
most contentious parts of Blunket's plan: the right for police to
detain those who they suspect may be connected with terrorist
activities, whether they have concrete evidence or not.

It is thanks to such details that Blunket's system, which is similar
to that proposed by Ashcroft, is seen as ruthless by many in the UK.

Like Ashcroft, Blunket is attempting to create an environment where a
suspect will not see the evidence against him or her, a judicial
mechanism where lawyers will not be trusted with confidential
information, and a system where there will be detention without trial.

It is my opinion that in these times of panic and worry, during which
our freedoms and democracies are being threatened, that our
governments should keep a level head and not remove the rights and
freedoms we are so desperately fight to keep.

Thankfully Blunket's mission has not been made easy as the Bill has
suffered a number of embarrassing defeats in the House of Lords, but
the embarrassment for the Labour Party has not stopped there, as a
handful of back bench ministers have brought the issues of freedom
and liberty to centre stage.

Recently Paul Marsden made the headlines when he defected from Labour
to the Liberal Democrats after he claimed he had been the victim of a
hate campaign in which he had been severely reprimanded and even
suffered violent clashes with fellow party members after expressing
his opposition to the Afghan war, while another Labour MP has also
accused the government of monitoring his private phone calls after he
went against the party line on the war on terror.

It was once famously claimed that a week is a long time in politics,
and that statement has never proved to be more true than in the
current climate.

Christmas is a time when many reflect on what is happening around
them. For some who have lost loved ones in the tragic events of
September 11 this time of year will prove particularly hard, but we
all need to focus on the goal in hand and rise above the government
propaganda and spin. Our liberties and freedoms are so precious to us
that we have chosen to go to war to protect them, lets not throw that
all away by introducing measures that once here will be extremely
hard to dispose of.

American Politics Journal Copyright (C) 2001 American Politics Journal
Publications, Inc

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/