Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Time Machine

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 14:43:11 -0500

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 14:36:23 -0500
From: Matt Murray <mattm () optonline net>
Subject: Time Machine
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>

Prof. Farber:

More than a month ago you had a small post about time compression of the on-air broadcast network feeds (specifically KDKA). Here's something a bit more recent from Electronic Media <http://www.emonline.com/>http://www.emonline.com/ that covers the compression of commercials, too (unfortunately, not to the benefit of us consumers).

Matt Murray

<mailto:mattm () optonline net>mattm () optonline net

Time Squeeze Probe Widens
By MICHELE GREPPI
Electronic Media
The American Association of Advertising Agencies is
expanding its investigation into the use of Time Machines to
create unauthorized extra local ad inventory on TV stations.
After several weeks of exploring the ramifications of the
issue, the Local TV/Radio Committee of the AAAA, chaired by
Initiative Media Executive VP Kathy Crawford, will take its
concerns nationwide.
"This issue has been turned over to the National Broadcast
Committee at the 4-As," said Ms. Crawford.
In addition, Ms. Crawford will be reaching out to the
Television Bureau of Advertising for help in reaching its
nearly 500 members. "We will be asking the TVB to please
spearhead a letter with us to their member stations that
pretty much reflects the same stuff we asked the CBS owned
stations," Ms. Crawford said. That message: "We paid for 30
seconds and we expect to get 30 seconds," she said.
Furthermore, Ms. Crawford voiced concern about a new device
in the works from the same people who make the Time Machine.
It's called the Trimmer, and using technology similar to the
Time Machine, it will enable TV stations to trim time from
commercials that come into a station too long to fit the
available pod slot. In other words, if a commercial meant
for a 30-second slot arrives with a running time of 32
seconds, the Trimmer could be used to reduce the running
time by two seconds. Putting such a device into the hands of
local TV stations, with its potential for abuse, is very
"worrisome," said Ms. Crawford.
The Time Machine, manufactured by San Jose, Calif.-based
Prime Image, allows stations to add extra spots by analyzing
successive frames of a TV signal and looking for two that
are enough alike that one can be tossed out. Nine hundred
frames have to be thrown away to create a 30-second hole.
Ms. Crawford had expressed her concerns to CBS about use of
Time Machines on the CBS owned-and-operated stations after
the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review wrote that KDKA-TV had used
the device during a live NFL football game on Oct. 14, and
Electronic Media followed with reports that the practice was
widespread on other stations as well.
"We want you to know that program compression is
unacceptable," the ad executive wrote in a Nov 9. letter to
Fred Reynolds, president of the CBS TV stations group, on
behalf of the AAAA. "Our clients' commercials are already
running in a 'cluttered' environment. Stations should not
compress the program and add more time to the commercial
pod, which increases the cluttered environment further."
More important, Ms. Crawford wrote, "This [Pittsburgh]
incident also causes concern that this same technology could
be used to compress commercials for the same purpose." Mr.
Reynolds, who like the network has addressed only the Oct.
14 KDKA incident, replied to Ms. Crawford with assurances
that "Your commercial message has never been tampered with."
Dimitri Vassilaros, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review columnist
who broke the original story, told EM last week that KDKA
and CBS were being "stupid" and "dishonestly stupid" by
pretending that the only time KDKA used the Time Machine on
NFL games was Oct. 14. "One of the reasons I kept after the
station for an explanation of why they were delaying a live
game by 30 to 60 seconds when I saw it on Oct. 14 is because
it was the second or third game in which I had noticed they
had done it," he said.
The revelations of widespread Time Machine use sent shock
waves through the advertising world and through the local
broadcasting community. Networks strictly forbid affiliates
from manipulating network programming to add local
inventory. Such a breach of the network affiliate contract
could result in the local station losing its affiliate
status.
"This is not about KDKA," Ms. Crawford said, further
explaining why the AAAA is broadening its investigation.
"This is about 120 [Time] machines out there. At the
national and local level, it is cause for concern."

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/