Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: FCC lifts ban on technology-specific area codes

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 21:05:53 -0500

From: "Bob Frankston" <rmf2g2 () bobf Frankston com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

I'm trying to catch up on reading IP. I might as well start by
commenting on this issue since it is a depressing regression into
ignorance.

The ability to just dial 11 digits is very liberating compared with the
Byzantine set of rules for dialing between pairs of numbers (7 1-7 10
1-10 etc). I was even starting to get used to holding on to my phone
number as long as I didn't move. In fact, as 800 number portability
shows, there isn't really any reason to change my phone number -- just
let me indirect it as needed. This is why I give out only my 8xx numbers
for my cell phones -- it's none of your bother or business whether I am
using one or who I am getting service from or where I am in the world.

The basic problem here is that if there really is an explosion of phone
numbers, the notion of tying numbers to the kind of instrument I happen
to be using is, at best, foolish, and at very least, assuring pervasive
complexity and annoyance. While this rule preserves the ability to use 7
digits in a few cases, it actually increases the number of cases where I
need to dial a different area code, especially with cell phones starting
to displace land lines.

This seems to be a case of pandering to fear of change rather than
representing an understanding of how people actually use phones. By this
reasoning we shouldn't have moved to all-number dialing. Instead we
would have easy to remember exchange numbers like "Phisch-9" and instead
of 100 possible exchange prefixes (the first two digits) we would have
to remember thousands of possibilities and be very good at spelling and
pronouncing English.

The idea of stable phone numbers should be so simple. It makes it seem
even more difficult to explain why we need a level of indirection under
".com" names and why we cannot just put all that porn in ".xxx".

Let us pause to remember the Strowger switch. If only we can move on.

Bob Frankston
http://www.Frankston.com

Ref:
http://www.newsday.com/news/politics/wire/sns-ap-wireless-area-codes1216
dec16.story?coll=sns%2Dap%2Dpolitics%2Dheadlines

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/