Interesting People mailing list archives

Re P3P and liability ([dave () farber net: IP: P3P, IE6 and Legal Liability: [risks] Risks Digest 21.82])

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 00:25:01 -0500

Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 18:08:56 -0800
From: Seth David Schoen <schoen () eff org>
To: eff-priv () eff org

This is actually an ad for an article its author is selling about how
to avoid legal liability for claims made with P3P.

My main concern with P3P was that it wasn't clear to me that a P3P
document was a valid contract, and not clear that it could be enforced
(or would actually be monitored by anyone).  The structure of P3P is
approximately that a web server can send you a structured document
which means something like "On my honor as an HTTP/1.1 server, I
promise not to share personally identifiable information with any
other companies".

It's hard for me to see what the right way of doing this is.  On the
one hand, it's nice to have a formal language for talking about
privacy policies (although it could be argued that very few people
think about their privacy in terms which map strictly into the P3P
language).  On the other hand, the legal liability and enforceability
issues are huge, almost the whole point, and W3C deliberately declines
to address them (much like the folks at CPTWG saying "We're going to
make up a technical architecture for broadcast video copy protection,
and not talk about how it's going to be enforced").

P3P is parallel to PICS, in many ways -- it was organized as a
"voluntary" "interindustry" "consensus" "solution" (and both are open
standards).  Both schemes rely on publishers to make certain
representations about themselves in a formal language, assume that
users' software will explain the policies to the users (and possibly
not allow the users to communicate with sites which don't make
statements about their policies).

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/