Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: Bush envokes executive privilege

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 15:30:00 -0500

From: "Falk, Donald M." <DFalk () mayerbrown com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

Without having any insight into what was requested and what was
withheld, and whether as a consequence this was a sensible exercise of
executive privilege, any president who was afraid to assert executive
privilege as to documents reflecting decision-making processes about
criminal investigations would not be up to the job.  That is core
executive privilege material, and the tradition of withholding similar
material goes back well before Reagan.  The privilege for this kind of
deliberative material is rooted in the constitutional separation of
powers (which, of course, may collide with the constitutional system of
checks and balances).  Memory fails now -- I would have known 10 years
ago -- but I think Washington and I'm fairly sure Jefferson asserted
executive privilege in similar circumstances.  That is not to say that
Presidents don't waive the privilege when appropriate, and it may be
appropriate to do so here.

Donald M. Falk
Mayer, Brown & Platt
555 College Avenue