Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: DNC's McAuliffe at the Gridiron Dinner

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 19:01:25 -0500

From: "Ray Everett-Church" <ray () everett org>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

As reported in http://www.rollcall.com/pages/columns/hoh/:

McAuliffe in '04?

Democratic National Committee Chairman Terry McAuliffe joked that he's
launching a bid for president in 2004 during a comedy routine at the
recent Gridiron Club winter dinner.

"As president, I would have one thing to say about the Republican
policies that benefit the wealthiest 1 percent of Americans: Thanks!,"
quipped McAuliffe, who added that he has a great shot at winning because
of the weak field of potential Democratic candidates.

Although the Gridiron speeches are supposed to stay off the record,
here's McAuliffe's scouting report on potential '04 candidates,
according to attendees who took notes.

House Minority Leader Richard Gephardt (Mo.): "How can he possibly win?
He's too closely tied to me,"said McAuliffe.

Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.): "Massachusetts. Enough said. Actually that's
not fair. Senator Kerry's a real contender. He had the biggest
fundraiser of the year last night - he had dinner with his wife."

Sen. John Edwards (D-N.C.): "As if Americans would ever elect a
smooth-talking, good-looking Southerner as president."

As for another potential Democratic candidate, McAuliffe said, "We have
a vice president in total seclusion, at a secure location. Whereabouts
completely unknown. And I'm talking about Al Gore."

He also took aim at some top Republicans, including Bush. "A lot of
Democrats are criticizing President Bush on his decision to cancel
normal trials and hold military tribunals with quick executions. But to
be fair, it worked well for him in Texas."

McAuliffe joked that he had hoped to share the stage with sacked
Republican National Committee Chairman Jim Gilmore. "I talked to Jim,
and he's very happy,"he said. "The President has made some calls and
gotten him a big new job as CEO of Enron."

-------

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/