Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Another note on security (from eweek)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2001 22:17:40 -0500

Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 16:30:22 -0700
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
From: "Robert M. McClure" <rmm () unidot com>

(Permission to copy has *not* been obtained, but I doubt
that they would object to it being sent to the IP list.)

eweek Nov 26, 2001

PETER COFFEE: CONVERGENCE POINTS

SECURITY HAS TO MAKE SENSE

Perhaps the worst thing about the post-Sept. 11 environment is the
abandonment of cost-benefit analysis, or any analysis at all, in the rush
to prove that one has taken every possible precaution. The result reminds
me of descriptions of the Prohibition era: The rules become the problem,
and people begin to sneer at both the rules and at those who bother to obey
them.

At Los Angeles airport, for example, private cars were barred -Ä unless they
carried "handicapped" placards. This is a case of reasoning in only one
direction: "We have to ban cars! Make people use shuttle buses!" "But what
about people in wheelchairs?" "OK, let the handicapped cars come in."

Reasoning backward, one realizes that stealing a handicapped placard is so
easy that this modified measure accomplishes practically nothing. Security
measures have to be more robust to hold people's respect.

Reasoning in just one direction is also a good way to lose at chess: "I'll
move here, then he'll move there, then I'll have him." One easily forgets
that the opponent is not participating in your plan, but making and
pursuing his own.

The opponent may not be limited to your ideas of what is a weapon. At
Comdex, I was not allowed to enter a keynote theater with a pocketknife.
Never mind that the stated policy banned cameras, laptop computers, bags of
all kinds) but not knives. The security guard put his hands on his hips and
grumped, "Well, you should have known!"

My Rotring pen, however, a forged metal shaft that is three times as long
as my knife blade, was acceptable.  If you and I were to fight a duel and
I had choice of weapons, I would give you the knife and keep the pen any day.

If institutions want support for their increased security measures, those
measures have to stand up to common-sense scrutiny; they have to be
communicated clearly and enforced consistently and courteously. Otherwise,
you'll have a much bigger problem than when only the terrorists dislike
you.

Tell me what's keeping you "safe" at peter_coffee () ziffdavis com.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/