Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Code Red Fuzzy Math

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 17:35:22 -0400

From: "Meeks, Brock (MSNBCi)" <Brock.Meeks () MSNBC COM>
To: "'David Farber '" <dave () farber net>
Subject: Code Red Fuzzy Math
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 07:16:21 -0700

Dave,

A pet peeve of mine is the sloppy reporting that makes up shoddy journalism
relating how much some "disaster" costs.  The software industry decries "$20
billion" lost each to piracy, but when you drill down on them, their numbers
are more squishy than fuzzy math during a presidential campaign.

Already we're seeing stories (on the wires and in the Wall St. Journal) that
the Code Red worm has cost "$1.2 billion."

To my embarassment, MSNBC.com is running a pathetic piece of journalism from
Reuters on the subject (http://www.msnbc.com/news/607862.asp) on our front
cover this morning.

Perhaps someone on the IP list can make better sense of this, provide a
better explanation or provide a quantifiable way for us in journalism to do
a better job on such stories because right now, most of my colleagues, how
do I say this politely, suck, at doing these kinds of reports.

--Brock

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/