Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: Response to David Reed

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 17:41:43 -0400

From: Chris Savage <chris.savage () crblaw com>
To: "'farber () cis upenn edu'" <farber () cis upenn edu>

-----Original Message-----
From: David Farber [<mailto:dave () farber net>mailto:dave () farber net]
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2001 5:03 PM
To: ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com
Subject: IP: Response to David Reed

From: "Gerry Faulhaber" <gerry-faulhaber () home com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Response to David Reed

<snip>

Let me first remind your readers that in proposing a property
rights-market system, I am not claiming that it's perfect --
only that it is infinitely better than what we have now.
Paraphrasing Winston Churchill (in speaking of democracy), I
don't have to show it's perfect; just that it's better than
the available alternatives;-)

Ronald Coase got the Nobel Prize in economics for showing (among other
things) that if you set up a clear system of property rights in
essentially any conflicting-use situation, the parties will use contracts
to allocate the resource in question to its most efficient use.  This is
the famed "Coase Theorem" announced in a 1960 article called "The Problem
of Social Cost."

It turns out that Coase actually came upon his theorem -- or at least the
insight underlying it -- in a 1959 paper called "The Federal
Communications Commission," in which he explained why and how a market
allocation mechanism would work properly for spectrum.

Markets are not perfect.  But they do what they do -- allocate scarce
resources among competing uses -- better than anything else we know
about.  It may be that there are technical considerations that require
some constraints on unfettered market allocations (I'm not an engineer; I
am a lawyer; and I'm sort of an economist, at least through undergraduate
training and lots of regulatory/antitrust practice).

Since Coase is right as a general matter (anyone care to take him on?  No
one has done so successfully over the last 40 years), I'd put a very heavy
burden on someone claiming that some technical issues preclude the use of
markets to allocate spectrum (or any other scarce resource).

Chris S.

This electronic mail transmission may contain confidential or
privileged information.  If you believe that you have received the
message in error, please notify the sender by reply transmission
and delete the message without copying or disclosing it.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/