Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Two on Avoiding prosecution of the DMCA (Ferguson, RISKS-21.60): [risks] Risks Digest 21.62

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 15:46:33 +1000

From: "Lawrence L. Andrew" <Andrew () macomb com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Re: Two on Avoiding prosecution of the DMCA
(Ferguson,  RISKS-21.60): [risks] Risks Digest 21.62
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 01:20:03 -0500

Dave,
Following the governments line of reasoning (as alluded to below) leads to
some interesting conclusions.  For instance, I know a number of Accounting
professors at several universities who teach their students how to commit
fraud in the classroom so they will recognize it when they see it in real
life.  Following this line of thinking (below), this sort of instruction
would necessarily cease, because if students were not taught to commit
fraud, then they would never learn it & nobody could do it.  So naturally it
would never happen again!
Similarly with Chemistry, Physics, and Engineering, if we don't teach about
the reactive properties of various chemicals and compounds, etc., never
again will anyone build any sort of explosive device!

All our government wants is to usher in World Peace!  Just think - all the
aggression and illicit business practices of the world, wiped out in a
generation or two!  and we were too naive to recognize their efforts!   Why
I'm certain this must be the same thing the FBI is trying to accomplish with
their Carnivore system, because surely they would never intentionally
infringe upon anyone's rights.....  <wink>

Larry Andrew
Andrew () macomb com
In America, anyone can be President.  That's one of the risks you take.
Adlai Stephenson
Lawrence L. Andrew
Instructor in Information Management
Western Illinois University