Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Killer App?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 16:16:14 +1000

Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 21:43:08 -0400
To: Barry Frankel <bfrankel () PrincetonCapital com>
From: Jock Gill <jgill () penfield-gill com>
Subject: Killer App?
Cc: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>

Barry,

Good questions.

I wonder where we are going with high speed access if about half the web
pages served come from just 4 corporate sites?  How do we enable the
Internet to show the power it can drive via self organizing collective
actions based upon exchange and conversation at the edges?  Our has the
center captured and subverted the Internet already?

I wonder what end technology when the DMCA is being used as a guilty until
proven innocent sledge hammer to attack rights we the people thought we
had? Neo-feudalism?

I wonder if my new friend Thom Hartmann is correct when he asserts that if
we do not fight for the survival of a bottom up, egalitarian democracy we
are doomed to a top down multinational neo-feudalism?  Another example
might be suit against Greg Palast.

So my guess is that what will get us roaring again is a new map to a new
future - a new politics which puts people first in ways Bill Clinton never
imagined.

For example,  The Boston Tea Party of 1773 was much more about small
entrepreneurs fighting to save their small independent tea businesses from
attack by a large multinational supported by the government in England
than it was about "taxation without representation".   Perhaps we need a
new Tea Party to reaffirm the primacy individuals over today's equivalents
of the East India Company?

[BTW, did you know that the Bettsy Ross design for our very own Old Glory
is a derivative work based upon the East India Company flag?  It is not an
original work of graphic art at all.  Today's state of Hawaii flag is a
similar derivative work from the same corporate emblem.]

What would happen if we had a national discourse which considered these 4
conditions:

1] Professor Joseph Ellis, the historian, in a private meeting, points out
the concept of "Original Intent" is completely BOGUS .  What the Founders
did was frame a structure better called "The Original Argument" - a
process of argument and dialog in which all sides kept engaged over
time.  The "Original Intent" argument is a device to distort the
conversation and control the content of the dialog.

2] Similarly, the far right has very badly distorted and mis-represented
the work of Adam Smith who in fact railed against the dangers of
monopolies and corporations.  Smith, by the way, only mentions "The
Invisible Hand" once in The Wealth of Nations.  This single reference was
hedged with conditions and was quite likely an ironic idea he considered
not worth further discussion.  Yet the far right has succeeded for far too
long in subverting these basic truths which are far too inconvenient to
their arguments.

3] Would it not be energizing if we undid the 1886 court decision which
gave corporations the same rights as humans? Some would argue that this
action gave corporations MORE rights than women!  In 1885 it was ILLEGAL
for a Corporation to attempt to influence a politician!  No
contact.  No  cash.  Let's restore this restriction.

4] Further, as my brother points out,  it would  it would be very useful
to undo the harm done when the courts decided that money was speech and
thus protected.

So my view is that, until we come up with some new organizing first
principals for technology to implement, we are likely to stagnate.  The
higher risk is that we will fail to prepare creatively now for the
transition away from the decline of the Hydrocarbon Era.  What comes
next?  How do we make money from the opportunity created by the confusion?

Perhaps what we need is a Tea Party for the 21st Century?  A Tea Party to
get us innovating, but not revolting.

I look forward to your thoughts.

From VT.

Regards,