Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: How to Become a Victim of Identity Theft

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 10:37:04 -0400

Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 10:33:04 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Tom Goltz <tgoltz () QuietSoftware com>
Subject: Re: IP: How to Become a Victim of Identity Theft

At 09:34 AM 8/20/2001 -0400, you wrote:
So you want to become a victim of identity theft? Congratulations!
It's never been easier.

Sadly, this is very true.  Lest anyone think that these recommendations
are sufficient, let me relate my tale.

In October of last year, I became a victim of identity theft.  I found it
ironic, since I have been directing all my correspondence to a Post Office
box for over ten years, and I own and religiously use a paper
shredder.  My mistake was having a California Driver's License.  In order
to get this document, I had to supply my home address and Social Security
number.  Until very, very recently, the state of California was in the
habit of selling complete copies of this database "for marketing
purposes," and would give the information on an individual to anyone who
asked.  Although I have no way of proving it, I strongly believe this was
how my personal information came to be in the hands of one "James Thompson."

To make a long story short, $15,000 worth of fraud in California, and one
attempt at about $6,000 in Las Vegas later, Mr Thompson was arrested in
Las Vegas.  He was charged with attempted fraud, and identity
theft.  California wasn't interested in extraditing or prosecuting, since
each local jurisdiction (there were four) would have had to prosecute
individually.  I was told that California would not extradite anyone for
less than $250,000 in fraud.  Mr. Thompson plea-bargained in Nevada, the
identity theft charge was dropped, and he received probation for the
attempted fraud.  Three months in jail for $15,000?  Excellent return on
investment!

A tip of my hat to the store security chief who identified the fraud while
it was in progress, contacted me to confirm it, and arrested the
criminal.  Having someone to hang the fraud on made my life infinitely
easier while cleaning up my credit.

In addition to the recommendations to the article, I would sign up for one
of the credit history monitoring programs offered by many of the credit
card companies.  For $40/year, the one I use pulls my credit on a monthly
basis from all three reporting companies and informs me of changes.   I
also recommend writing the Social Security administration for a
report.  If someone has used your identity to secure employment the taxes
they pay will show up here.

Tom Goltz
Software Engineering Services
(603) 594-9922