Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Half the problem is know it can be done

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 14:58:05 -0400

We now know that the HDCP can be broken and have a rough size of the task.
We also have access to Niels Ferguson published work and can get some idea
of how he works.

When I first heard about HDCP I was betting  on a year to have it taken
down. That was not too far off.

So for example, suppose a  challenged person(s) is going to redo the work
and wants to publish it on the net maybe  via an anonymous path.  If he/she
is worrying about getting recognition some day when sanity returns to the
cyberworld , if ever, they could sign  date and encrypt it, widely
distribute it but hold the public key private. Then sometime in the future
they could release it to claim credit. Use a bit big key and if public key
systems are breakable , one can be rather sure that those who can do so are
not interested in letting us know.

Of course I would never suggest someone actually do this but if they did ...

Dave

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/