Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Napster hypocrisy

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 13:58:37 -0400

From: John Shoch <shoch () alloyventures com>
To: "Dave Farber (E-mail)" <dave () farber net>

Dave,

For your amusement -- an item from today's WSJ, with an ironic bit of
hypocrisy from Napster:

<begin>
On the Chin

Napster's founder Shawn Fanning took it on the chin at a pro-Napster
conference in Washington, D.C., the night before this week's Senate hearing
where Napster, the recording industry, and recording artists like Don Henley
and Alanis Morissette aired their grievances before lawmakers.

Mr. Fanning, 20 years old, took the hit over his company's efforts to
protect its copyrights: its software code. A programmer in the audience
demanded to know why Napster's "source code" for its software wasn't freely
available. "That's a great question," Mr. Fanning stammered, "and one I was
hoping you wouldn't ask."

His answer: "Once the [Napster] user base grew ... we had to raise money to
pay for bandwidth and for servers, and it became a business issue."

<end>

So, we finally can understand Napster's business plan:  "I can help other
people steal copyrighted material from you, but you can't steal copyrighted
material from me....."

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/