Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: The technology president:

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 18:30:52 -0400

http://www.mercurycenter.com/premium/opinion/columns/078563.htm

Published Tuesday, September 19, 2000, in the San Jose Mercury News

JOHN DOERR AND BILL JOY

----

The technology president: From wiring schools to a Net tax moratorium to
globalization, Gore gets it better than anyone
BY JOHN DOERR AND BILL JOY

You hear it all the time: Who cares about this presidential campaign? Gore,
Bush -- there's not a dime's worth of difference between them. The country
is at peace. The economy is booming. What difference does it make who sits
in an oval office, 3,000 miles away?

A big, big difference, we think.

The boom we're enjoying didn't happen by accident. Although it was driven
by smart, risk-taking entrepreneurs, particularly in places like the
valley,
the current presidential administration played an integral part in making
the boom happen. Its policies have been farsighted and rooted in a firm
understanding of the dynamics of the New Economy. And nobody in Washington
understands those dynamics, and has done more to encourage them than Al
Gore.

Gore has been, in effect, the chief architect of our national technology
and information policy for nearly 25 years. In his early years in the House
and
Senate, he was among the first national politicians to recognize the scale
of the changes being unleashed by chips and bits and networks of fiber. He
co-authored the Small Business Innovation Research program, helping small
businesses bring new technologies to market. He introduced the
Supercomputer Network Study Act of 1986, which created the University of
Illinois
lab where Marc Andreessen and the half-dozen kids who would later found
Netscape developed the first graphic Web browser, Mosaic. Gore sponsored
the
High Performance Computing Act of 1991, which boosted federal support for
the
Internet backbone by billions of dollars; and the Information
Infrastructure and Technologies Act of 1992, which invested billions more
in
technology to improve education, expand health care and create jobs.

And despite all the jokes about him creating the Internet, the truth is
this: Gore was speaking with clarity and passion about the advent of a
seamless global information network long before most in the Valley had
dreamed of such a network. Gore didn't call it the Internet; he called it
the ``information superhighway.'' The name hardly matters. The point is he
foresaw it, worked for it, got it.

As vice president, Gore was instrumental in the administration's economic
program and took charge of its technology agenda. He led the fight for
global free trade. He played a key role pushing through the sweeping
overhaul of the telecom industry in 1996, which championed competition over
bureaucracy and monopolies. He helped discourage frivolous shareholder
lawsuits and steadfastly argued that the government should ``keep its hands
off the Internet,'' arguing in favor of a moratorium on Internet taxation
and of regulating cyberspace with a light touch, if at all.

Through all his efforts, Gore has worked to ensure that all Americans have
the opportunity to benefit from the wonders of the new economy. He has
focused on areas where technology and education come together. He helped
create the E-rate program, which is wiring our nation's schools and
libraries for Internet access. He's pushed for testing and accountability
in education, charter public schools, smaller class size, and more teachers
with the time and incentives to be well prepared.

Gore understands deeply that although the New Economy was born in America,
it's not just an American thing -- globalization matters, and more so every
day. In the next four years, the president will face complex and delicate
international issues: global environmental regulation; global labor
standards; tariffs and trade. Having a president with experience and a firm
grasp of the complexities of the world would be a very good thing.

The New Economy has improved the way we live and work. It has led to record
growth, more than 20 million new jobs, low inflation, and an incredibly
favorable entrepreneurial culture. Think of all of the changes that have
happened over the past eight years, many of which are accelerating at
Internet speed. Think of all the possibilities and opportunities yet to
come.

To deal with these changes and make good these opportunities, we must elect
a leader who understands where we've been and where we can go in the future
-- and who has the intelligence and competence to lead us there.

We need Al Gore.

----

John Doerr is a partner with Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, a venture
capital firm in Menlo Park. Bill Joy is co-founder and chief scientist of
Sun Microsystems.