Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: EUROPEAN BOARD VOTES TO ALLOW SOFTWARE PATENTS

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 11:26:33 -0400

Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 17:19:52 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Arun-Kumar Tripathi <tripathi () statistik uni-dortmund de>
To: "Prof. David Farber" <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: EUROPEAN BOARD VOTES TO ALLOW SOFTWARE PATENTS

Dear Prof. David Farber,

Hello -I thought this note might interest to IP list
members..forwarded via NewsScan Daily. --Arun

An administrative board for the European Patents Office has voted 10-9 to
allow patents for software in Europe, with a final decision coming in
November at a conference of the all the countries represented by the
Office. Software patents are available in the U.S. and Japan, and
multinational companies have been arguing for unlimited patenting as part
of a uniform global legal framework. Critics, however, fear that large
companies will use the patenting process as a tool to squelch innovative
technologies that threaten their standard products. Among the dissenting
countries were Germany, the U.K. and France. The head of the German
delegation expressed his reservations over the change: "We would have
problems with the U.S. tendency to patent everything that can be patented.
That would stifle innovation and cause a glut of litigation." (Wall Street
Journal 13 Sep 2000)
<http://interactive.wsj.com/articles/SB968792884357682385.htm>