Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Whose Circuit Is Busy?

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 06:36:46 -0500

From: <jspira () basex com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu

Dave,

In recent weeks, I've noticed that many of my attempts at telephone calls,
be they via my mobile or wireline phone, are greeted by a cheery voice
announcing, "We're sorry.  All Circuits Are Busy.  Please Try Your Call
Later."  This is also known as an All Circuits Busy (ACB) condition.

The problem is that, most of these don't have any tags which indicate which
provider is busy.

Case in point: I call from my home, served by Verizon, to a Sprint mobile
number.  Male voice announcing ACB.  No indication of network origin.  I
don't know whether Verizon has insufficient capacity, or Sprint, or the
internetworking between the two is overtaxed.

Another call: I call from my home, to Ulster County (also served by
Verizon).  Female voice, announcing ACB.  Quickly switch to my mobile,
served by Voicestream, and my call to the same number is greeted by a male
voice announcing an ACB.

Perhaps IPers have some ideas.

I can't believe that, after years of excess network capacity, we are
suddenly running short.

/s/ Jonathan

Jonathan B Spira                   The Basex Group, Inc.
Chairman                                 Empire State Building
jspira () basex com         350 Fifth Avenue Suite 3018
http://www.basex.com          New York, NY  10118
Tel: +1(212) 760-1555 ext 113 Fax: +1(212) 760-1724