Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Today we are surprised!

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 16:41:36 -0500

To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
cc: Hiromichi HASHIZUME <has () nii ac jp>

From: Hiromichi HASHIZUME <has () nii ac jp>

Today we are surprised!  The evening edition of Asahi newspaper
ran an article including your comment with your photo.  Please
see:

  http://webserv.rd.nacsis.ac.jp/~has/dave.gif

The title of the article is:

"The next generation Internet -- 2,  Change of the cast in the
play,  From universities to industry."

Your comment is in the bottom two columns of the article, following
the preceeding text of a brief history of the Internet and the
Internet 2 project.

.... An executive of a big company which participates in the
Internet 2 project gave us a comment:  "We love this project,
as we can test a product in it, whenever we want."  At the
same time, however, he said "frankly speaking, what we are interested
in most is not the project itself, but the good researchers we can
recruit."

The FCC chief engineer Mr. David Farber said, "Industries are
increasing investment to the Internet year by year for the
survival.  Universities cannot match the industries if they
keep on the way they did before.  There will be little hope
for the Internet 2 project -- it will not be able to catch up
the industries."

  .... a comment of Jun Murai follows, "virtually no universities
       (in the US) actually do Internet 2 research" ....
  .... majority members of ISOC belong to large companies ....

"But the Internet industries are just extending what we developed
 in the universities before.  They only have taken over the result,"
says Mr. Farber.  "As long as they keep the latest development
information open, it is very healthy condition."