Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Microsoft

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 17:59:08 -0400

Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 11:35:33 -0700
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
From: "Robert M. McClure" <rmm () unidot com>
Subject: Microsoft

Dave,

   I have written the following to put forth as clearly as I can why
Microsoft
deserved to lose their antitrust case.

Bob

        Frequently I encounter people who think the government is being
unfair to Microsoft.  I have written the following to support my view
that Microsoft has violated the law and deserves to be seriously sanctioned,
probably by being broken up.

        Bear in mind that I am an ardent free trader and have little use
for government intervention in private business arrangements, I would like
to try to make the case that Microsoft has, in fact, violated the law
as written and that the government was correct to prosecute them.

        My credentials for making this case are 1) that I have been in the
computer industgry since 1958 and 2) have done quite a bit of legal expert
witness work, including the field of antitrust enforcement.

        Quite often people lump "bashing" of Microsoft with the bashing of
the gun, tobacco, pharmaceutical and other industries.  In the case of
these other industries, your description of them as being "bashed" is
well founded.  Not in the case of Microsoft.

        I am not attempting to defend the antitrust laws, since I personally
think many of strictures imposed by them are indeed counterproductive.
However, since they are on the books, I feels that all the players should
abide by them.  The essential problem here is that Microsoft has played
fast and loose with the rules while Microsoft's competitors have not, being
somewhat fearful of the power of the Federal Government.

        The intent of the antitrust laws is to protect consumers, not
competitors, although competition is needed in order to provide consumers
with protection for a monopolistic supplier.  So how does Microsoft harm
consumers?  There are essential three ways:

        1.  Price
        2.  Innovation
        3.  Irresponsible behavior

        Let me address these.  In point of fact, only the first is really
covered by the antitrust laws, but the second and third points are also
relevant.

        First price. The marginal cost of production of software is
near zero.  Only a monopoly position could extort $50 (or more) from
every computer buyer.  When the PC was first intruduced in 1981, the
cost to the computer manufacturer to license the operating system of the
day from Microsoft was $50.  The computer was sold at a price of 3,500 to
4,000 1981 dollars.  That computer typically had a monochrome monitor,
64 kilobytes (NOT megabytes), a single floppy drive holding 360 KB, and
no hard drive of any size.  In 2000, a typical consumer machine sells for
800-1000 year 2000 dollars has a color monitor, 64 megabytes of memory,
and a hard drive of 10+ gigabytes.  The manufacturer still pays Microsoft
$50 or more.  Since the computer has declined so dramatically in price
(a factor of 5-7 depending on how you calculate inflation), one could
reasonably expect the cost of software to decline as well.  Why not?

        The clear reason is lack of competition in operating systems.
For computers using Intel, AMD, Cypress, etc chips (about 87% of all
computers), Microsoft operating sytems (Windows in its various incarnations)
have at least a 95% market share.  For desktop machines, the MS market
share is in excess of 98%.  This market share was created with a very
clever licensing policy (in my opinion, Microsoft's only significant
innovation).  This policy was essentially this.  A manufacturer that
agreed to pay Microsoft a flat fee for each machine produced (whether
that machine was shipped with a Microsoft operating system of not) paid
a (for the day) relative modest fee of about $50.  A manufacturer that
did not agree to pay the fee for all computers shipped paid a few for
each operating system shipped approximately 3-5 times as much.  The
deal was not negotiable.  A manufacturer would not have much choice, and
having paid a fee for each machine would have no incentive to supply any
alternative system (and in 1981, there were several).

        The need to be compatible with IBM, which shipped MS-DOS with
their computers led substantially all manufacturers into shipping MS-DOS
as well.  Writers of application software then had no choice but to write
software for MS-DOS (and subsequently Windows).  The "lock-in" effect
was quite literally unbreakable.  So far in this chronology, I don't see
that the antitrust laws have been violated.

        Microsoft's next step was problematical.  They decided to move
from systems and system tools into applications in a big way.  To this
end they used their inside knowledge of their plans in the operating
system arena and their ability to selectively bundle, to shut out
competition, and thereby lessen the pressure on prices.  Several times
over the last decade they have chosen to crush an innovative entrant
by providing a similar product as a bundled item.  This amounts to
cross-subsidization of a non-monopoly product by a monopoly product and
this is clearly not permitted.

        In short, given the volumes of software shipped with personal
computers, if there were true competition, the price would more likely
be one-quarter to one-third of the current price.

        Second issue: innovation.  Microsoft is sometimes credited with
being
an innovator.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Microsoft was an
army
of programmers who are quite capable of producing very complex software, but
they do not seem to have the ability to come up with significant innovations.
They may do engineering, but not invention.

        Starting with MS-DOS, you may remember that it was originally
written by Seattle Computing and was purchased by Microsoft who knew,
as Seattle Computing did not, that IBM was interested in outsourcing
the operating system for the personal computer (PC) that they were
shortly to intruduce.

        Windows was basically copied from the Apple operating system (which
itself was copied from Xerox).  The first two versions of Windows were
disasters.  Only when MS reached version 3 did they succeed in producing
a system that was workable.

        Word was derivative of numerous word processing systems (Word
Perfect,
Word Star, Borland, etc) then on the market.  Excel was similarly derivative
of already available spreadsheets (A---, Lotus 123, etc).  It was widely
believed in the industry that Microsoft used secret hooks into their
operating system that were not published for use by other application
software houses.

        When Microsoft couldn't engineer their own product, they usually
took the tack of buying out a competitor.  Only the roadblocks put forth
by the FTC and Justice Department prevented several of these mergers or
acquisitions.

        The browser case is so well known it is not worth repeating, but
is another case of egregious behavior on the part of Microsoft.

        The net of all this is that potential competition was seriously
discouraged from competing (or attempting to compete) with Microsoft.
The industry was thereby deprived on many innovations that would otherwise
have appeared.

        Finally, Microsoft's products, had they been automobiles would
not only have been recalled, but probably banned.  Substantially all
industry insiders agree, even those who support Microsoft, that Microsoft's
software is inferior in reliability to most industry software.  It seems
that MS has concentrated on sizzle and not the steak.  They are undoubtedly
correct that fancy new features sell better than bug fixes, but it is
nevertheless irresponsible to put out software that crashes several times
every day.  Microsoft likes to point to the increased productivity produced
by computers and increased useability, but never offsets this with the
time required to reboot, restore files, and otherwise recover from software
glitches which they, themselves, inflict.  It may not be a violation of
the law to sell crappy software, but it is definitely immoral.

        I conclude, therefore, that the government suggested remedy of
splitting Microsoft into a systems and an application company is to correct
one.  As a side note, this will probably benefit the shareholder's of
Microsoft since the history of break-ups has been that the value of the
parts exceeds the value of the original company.