Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Another week, another FBI embarrassment: == Good Morning Silicon Valley Fri Oct 06 12:00:17 EDT 2000

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 22:44:31 -0400

Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 22:46:24 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: "Dorothy E. Denning" <denning () cs georgetown edu>

Dave,

The FBI never hid these other capabilities.  I recall reading that
Carnivore had the capability to do more than e-mail, including Web
communications and instant messaging, when it was first revealed.  Further,
the FBI never said it could only obtain headers (though for content, a
Title III court order is needed, which has a higher legal standard than for
pens/trap/trace). To confirm that, I just went to the FBI Web site and
searched on Carnivore.  It is clear to me from reading these materials
(going back to July hearings) that Carnivore has this broader capability.

Whoever issued that highly inaccurate statement should be embarrased, not
the FBI.

Dorothy