Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: The state of the American Society -- from your Editor

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 15:59:41 -0500

When I sent out that short set of notes about the election, the reactions I
got   that causes me to worry about the state of the USA.. They were mostly
extreme in nature at both ends of the spectrum -- from claiming Gestapo
tactics of one party  to calling me an extreme leftist (sidebar -- in my
college days I would have proudly accepted that designation  if offered but
sadly I  was  not and I am not).

The events of the past decades have, I fear,  polarized this nation into at
least two extreme groups who remind me of the Balkans. The center, I hope a
significant majority of the American public  must take control of this
situation and demand that our leaders behave like people qualified
to  follow in the footsteps of the Founders of our nation.

I will not take sides in this note as to who is right but we have a process
in this nation that serves us well. I believe it is called LAW. Our
judiciary is charged by our constitution to interpret that law and our
legislative bodies are charges with creating laws BUT more important to
defend and protect the Constitution of the USA.

If we botch this election process we will seriously damage our Constitution
and our nation and what we leave to our children and their children. Too
many people have died defending all this in war  and too many people have
pledged their sacred honor defending it to let it be torn apart.

Both Bush and Gore are , I hope, men of honor. If either of them aspire to
lead this nation they should  act as leaders and we as citizens of the
world oldest government should also act as such.

Dave

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/