Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Security key to Next Generation Internet

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 11:02:35 -0500

I was one of two keynoters at this meeting. The other keynoter was Former
Swedish Prime Minister Carl Bildt . One of my comments was   "David Farber,
chief technologist of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission, said he
doesn't know of anyone at his agency who wants to regulate the Internet.
"Being able to control what the citizen sees is not conducive to a
democratic society," he said."

Often people think the purpose of agencies like the FCC is to regulate. I
have found in my stay at the FCC that often it is to find ways not to do
so. When it comes to the Internet, since there is a growing sense that the
influence of large corporations is moving us towards an increasingly
commercially driven network, the FCC's role is to protect the open
traditions of the Internet by protecting our citizens from possible abuses
of dominant firms exercising marketpower.

Dave

http://www.idg.net/gomail.cgi?id=281782

Title:
Security key to 'Next Generation' net

If business doesn't develop proper safeguards for Internet security,
privacy, and reliability, governments will step in with unfortunate results,
say speakers at Global Internet Project workshop.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/