Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: With great sadness: Mike Muuss has passed on

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 06:13:35 -0500

Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 01:09:32 -0500 (EST)
From: <ronda () panix com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Re: IP: With great sadness: Mike Muuss has passed on

It is indeed very sad to hear of this great loss to the networking
community.

I wanted to add another important contribution of Mike's to the development
of the Internet. He created and moderated the ARPANET TCP/IP Digest which
helped in making the cutover from NCP to TCP/IP on the ARPANET in January
1983. The TCP/IP Digest provided a forum in which to discuss the
problems that those who were to do the cutover identified so they
could be solved.

The cutover set the basis for the creation of the Internet as a
metanetwork of diverse networks.

After the cutover, the ARPANET was split into MILNET, an operational
network for the DoD, and the ARPANET, a research network.

These two different networks were able to communicate via tcp/ip
communicate using TCP/IP. And that is some of the basis of the
Internet as we know it today.

A while ago, I wrote a paper about the role the TCP/IP Digest played in
the cutover online. The URL is

        http://umcc.ais.org/~ronda/new.papers/tcpdraft.txt

In the research I have done about the early ARPANET mailing lists,
Mike's role in contributing to the networking and UNIX
communities stands out. His efforts helped to connect these
two pioneering communities. He will indeed be missed.

Ronda
ronda () panix com

http://www.columbia.edu/~netbook
http://www.ais.org/~ronda/new.papers