Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: "The Thrill of the Internet" is gone?

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 14:51:23 -0500

Maybe it is best if the thrill is gone and replaced by the use of the net
for real day by day living djf

Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 09:02:58 -0800
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Wulf Losee <wlosee () cisco com>
Subject: "The Thrill of the Internet" is gone?

Dave:
I thought that IPers might be get a chuckle out of this. I guess it turns
out that the Internet was just a fad. ;-)

(Anyway, this quote is evidently from a recent Baron's article. It was
just forwarded to me, but I'm afraid I don't have the exact title and date
it was published.)

[The] less-than-encouraging news about Internet usage is that we've just
caught up with a study on that very subject prepared for
PriceWaterhouseCoopers by Opinion Research Corp. International.

What the survey found, in a nutshell, was that the Internet craze in the
U.S. seems to have peaked. Specifically, the average Jane and Joe now
spend 4.2 hours each week on the World Wide Web, down significantly from
5.3 hours last year and even below the 4.8 hours of 1998.

According to the report, "fewer Americans are sending and receiving
e-mails this year." And fewer, too, are reading publications online,
watching live events and participating in chatroom chatter.

Most respondents claimed that e-mailing and researching information are
their primary reasons for logging on. We assume the ever-popular porno
features fit the latter category.

One inference is that a lot of time is spent online at places other than
where the ads are. But more importantly, so far as the public goes, the
thrill of the Internet is most unmistakably gone.