Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Love Bug Mutates Into Dangerous New Strains

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 11:43:16 -0700

From: "Richard Dooling" <dooling () home com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

Last week's infamous "ILOVEYOU" computer worm has apparently spawned new and
more dangerous variants of itself.  LOVEBUG's viral successors still use
romance to entice the user to open and release their powers, but rogue
programs like the new "Marital Discord" worm not only corrupt files and hard
drives, they damage the human heart, as well.

The Marital Discord worm arrives attached to an email and executes "script"
that opens the user's contact and address books, looks up old lovers, and
sends them messages marked URGENT I MUST SEE YOU AND MAYBE TOUCH YOU, TOO in
the email subject line. The text of the Marital Discord message addresses
the former lover by name and confesses a long-suppressed and insatiable
resurgence of lust which the user is now helpless to control. The program
then signs the user's name, adds a P.S. "My life is a lie without you!" and
sends blind carbon copies to the user's spouse, former spouses, former
lover's spouses, former lover's former spouses, in-laws and former in-laws
on both sides, creditors, marriage counselors, opposing counsel, and any
prosecutors in the area running for office on morality platforms.

<more>

http://www.weirdharold.com

Dave, no copyright problems.  I'm the author.

Richard Dooling
http://www.dooling.com