Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Symposium at Stanford: Kurzweil, Joy, Moravec, Hofstadter, ...

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 15:57:25 -0500

Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 12:29:28 -0800
To: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
From: Larry Tesler <tesler () stagecast com>
Subject: Symposium at Stanford: Kurzweil, Joy, Moravec, Hofstadter, ...

               WILL SPIRITUAL ROBOTS REPLACE HUMANITY BY 2100?
                           A SYMPOSIUM AT STANFORD
                      -- free and open to the public --

                  Saturday, April 1, from 1 PM till 5:30 PM
       Teaching Center, Science and Engineering Quad (TCSEQ), room 200
     near the Math Corner, Sequoia Hall, and the Varian Physics Building

Primary speakers:

   Ray Kurzweil (inventor of reading machine for the blind, electronic
      keyboards, etc., and author of "The Age of Spiritual Machines")
   Hans Moravec (founder of Carnegie-Mellon University's Robotics Institute,
       and author of "Robot: Mere Machine to Transcendent Mind")
   Bill Joy (co-founder of, and chief scientist at, SUN Microsystems)
   John Holland (inventor of genetic algorithms, and artificial-life pioneer;
      professor of computer science and psychology at the U. of Michigan)

Panel members:

   Ralph Merkle (well-known computer scientist and one of today's top figures
      in the explosive field of nanotechnology)
   Kevin Kelly (editor at "Wired" magazine and author of "Out of Control",
      a study of bio-technological hybrids)
   Frank Drake (distinguished radio-astronomer and head of the SETI Institute
      -- Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence)
   John Koza (inventor of genetic programming, a rapidly expanding branch of
      artificial intelligence)

Symposium organizer and panel moderator:

   Douglas Hofstadter (professor of cognitive science at Indiana; author of
      "Gödel, Escher, Bach", "Fluid Concepts and Creative Analogies", etc.)

     In 1999, two distinguished computer scientists, Ray Kurzweil
and Hans Moravec, came out independently with serious books that
proclaimed that in the coming century, our own computational
technology, marching to the exponential drum of Moore's Law and more
general laws of bootstrapping, leapfrogging, positive-feedback
progress, will outstrip us intellectually and spiritually, becoming
not only deeply creative but deeply emotive, thus usurping from us
humans our self-appointed position as "the highest product of
evolution".
     These two books (and several others that appeared at about the
same time) are not the works of crackpots; they have been reviewed
at the highest levels of the nation's press, and often very
favorably. But the scenarios they paint are surrealistic,
science-fiction-like, and often shocking.
     According to Kurzweil and Moravec, today's human researchers,
drawing on emerging research areas such as artificial life,
artificial intelligence, nanotechnology, virtual reality, genetic
algorithms, genetic programming, and optical, DNA, and quantum
computing (as well as other areas that have not yet been dreamt of),
are striving, perhaps unwittingly, to render themselves obsolete --
and in this strange endeavor, they are being aided and abetted by
the very entities that would replace them (and you and me):
superpowerful computers that are relentlessly becoming tinier and
tinier and faster and faster, month after month after month.
     Where will it all lead?  Will we soon pass the spiritual baton
to software minds that will swim in virtual realities of a thousand
sorts that we cannot even begin to imagine?  Will uploading and
downloading of full minds onto the Web become a commonplace?  Will
thinking take place at silicon speeds, millions of times greater
than carbon speeds?  Will our children -- or perhaps our
grandchildren -- be the last generation to experience "the human
condition"?  Will immortality take over from mortality?  Will
personalities blur and merge and interpenetrate as the need for
biological bodies and brains recedes into the past?  What is to come?
     To treat these disorienting themes with the seriousness they
deserve at the dawn of the new millennium, cognitive scientist
Douglas Hofstadter has drawn together a blue-ribbon panel of experts
in all the areas concerned, including the authors of the two books
cited.  On Saturday, April 1 (take the date as you will), three main
speakers and five additional panelists will publicly discuss and
debate what the computational and technological future holds for
humanity.  The forum will be held from 1 PM till 5:30 PM, and
audience participation will be welcome in the final third of the
program.

Sponsoring agencies at Stanford:
   Symbolic Systems Program; Center for the Study of Language and Information;
   Department of Computer Science; Department of Philosophy; Center for
   Computer-Assisted Research in the Humanities; Channel 51; GSB Futurist Club