Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Hacker Mitnick testifies before Congress

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 21:18:59 -0500

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com>
To: "Peter G. Neumann" <neumann () csl sri com>

In message <CMM.0.90.4.952037858.neumann () chiron csl sri com>, "Peter G.
Neumann
" writes:

Mitnick, 36, wearing a slightly ill-fitting navy suit and rocking gently in
a witness chair, warned lawmakers about his favored technique of ''social
engineering,'' or deceiving others into believing he could be trusted. He
told of duped victims at major corporations volunteering their
passwords and
even sending him secret software blueprints.

''I was so successful in that line of attack that I rarely had to resort to
a technical attack,'' Mitnick said. ''Companies can spend millions of
dollars toward technological protections and that's wasted if somebody can
basically call someone on the telephone and either convince them to do
something on the computer that lowers the computer's defenses or
reveals the
information they were seeking.''

And today, he social-engineered his way into an appearance before a
Congressional committee....

                --Steve Bellovin