Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: EU to impose VAT on digital goods and software, from WSJ

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 14:57:37 -0500

Amen

To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Re: IP: EU to impose VAT on digital goods and software, from WSJ
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 14:53:54 -0500
From: Craig Partridge <craig () bbn com>

    [I'd be happy to forward other views. Anyone wanna defend this? djf]

Hi Dave:

I can't defend the EU idea but have a comment on it that may be useful.

The thing about most of the Internet sales tax/VAT proposals is that they
ignore a key feature of the Internet, namely that it tends to ignore
boundaries.  As Ron points out, people in the EU can buy electronic goods
easily from anywhere in the world.  And the place they buy may have
no affiliation with the EU.

Furthermore, buyers are mobile and often semi-anonymous (esp. when purchasing
electronic goods -- tangible goods still have to be delivered somewhere).
Buyers will be fully anonymous if e-cash ever becomes popular.

Trying to impose local sales tax on buyers who are mobile and semi-anonymous
and buying outside your jurisdiction is a challenging proposition.  (Though
people try -- I just moved to Michigan and their tax returns have
a line for sales tax on mail-order/Internet purchases, with a firm statement
that if you don't know how much you spent on such purchases, you should
use the following percentage of your gross income -- effectively this is
an addition to your income tax to cover sales tax shortfall rather than
a sales tax but is close).

My take is that the best hope of effectively collecting sales taxes is to
have the seller charge taxes, using the sales tax applicable in the *seller's*
location.  Of course, that solution is unpopular because it gives an ecommerce
advantage to merchants in low tax countries.  (And yes, I said countries --
I think regional taxes just don't work in this scenario -- the temptation
for an e-merchant to relocate to an adjacent county or state if sales taxes
are lower is just too great).

Craig