Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: a comment re Microsoft "profoundly dangerous to the rule of law" - Boston Globe

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 23:04:50 -0400

To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Re: IP: Microsoft "profoundly dangerous to the rule of law" -
Boston   Globe
From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry () piermont com>
Date: 11 Jun 2000 22:48:33 -0400

Bill Gates and his entourage have come to represent a certain kind of
techno-libertarian dissent that has grown up in the United States
since the
1970s.
[...]
How will Microsoft's conduct be thought of in terms of the history of the
decade? As being profoundly dangerous to the rule of law.
[...]

As an actual live libertarian, let me note:

1) Bill Gates is NOT a libertarian. So far as I can tell, he holds no
   libertarian views, contributes money to causes that libertarians
   would not support (such as various educational tax measures he has
   supported in Washington State), and to my knowledge is a member of
   no mainstream libertarian leaning organizations (such as the Cato
   Institute). There are lots of Real Live Techno-Libertarians out
   there. They created organizations like EFF and such. Bill Gates has
   never shown the slightest inclination to support their causes, or
   the slightest public support for their viewpoints.

2) Libertarians are intensely concerned with the primacy rule of
   law. One of the main libertarian issues of recent decades has, in
   fact, been the decay of the rule of law in the U.S. -- libertarians
   are profoundly concerned that rights are often trampled because of
   public opinion or expediency, and that deeper principles are
   ignored. If anyone would hold that law must be made in the
   legislatures and courts, and not by poll and public relations, it
   would be libertarians.

3) I'm also rather concerned by the notion of "libertarian" as a dirty
   word being subtly pushed here. Liberty is a notion that most of us
   hold very dear. Freedom speech, freedom of religion, etc., are
   cornerstones of our nation. The country was founded on libertarian
   principles. What's wrong with all that?

Perry