Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: FTC CURBS PERSONAL DATA SALES and RULING ON TRESPASS TANGLES WEB Edupage, 2 June 2000

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 06:27:19 -0700

A federal judge recently ruled that Bidder's Edge's use of
automated crawlers to collect data from eBay's Web site
constitutes trespassing. This decision has the potential to
alter the Internet landscape for some time. The widespread
practice of deep linking, in which Internet users are taken
directly to an item on another Web site, depends on the use of
automated crawlers. Thus, if the judge's ruling is allowed to
stand, companies such as Bidder's Edge could go under. The head
of auction business management service Andale says that the
ruling is not just bad for the industry, but consumers as well.
A fair-use policy for Web content is needed, says Andale CEO
Munjal Shah. A bill in Congress would bar aggregators from
collecting data from other companies' databases. EBay is the
only prominent U.S. Web publisher supporting the bill, which is
being opposed by AOL, Yahoo!, and Amazon.com. (Financial Times
Online, 31 May 2000)

FTC privacy regulations now prohibit financial institutions from
selling consumers' personal data their permission. Data covered
by the rules includes names, addresses, and Social Security
numbers. The new rules, part of the financial overhaul
legislation approved by Congress last year, have not been
welcomed kindly by businesses that depend upon consumer data.
"If we chip away at the availability of information about
consumers, we're in danger of reducing some of the benefits
consumers have gotten used to receiving," warned Direct Marketing
Association President and CEO H. Robert Wientzen.  Lawyer Ronald
Plesser of the Individual Reference Services Group says the rules
are a legal mistake and drastically impact the free flow of
information.  "We are forced to consider our legal options to
address the commission's extension of its authority," Plesser
said. (Washington Post, 2 June 2000)